HONDURAS: Sugarcane industry expects crush to reach 12.3 million quintals in 2017/18
Published: 02/13/2018, 4:35:16 PM
Sugarcane mills in Honduras should grind 12.3 million quintals of cane in 2017/18, and generate US$85 million in sugar exports, according to Honduras' La Tribuna news website.
Supplying the domestic market is the priority for the local industry, according to Carlos Melara, executive director of the Association of Sugar Producers (APAH).
About 68% of the sugar produced in Honduras is sold in the domestic market, and the remaining 32% is exported to the U.S. (20,000 metric tonnes), Taiwan (60,000 metric tonnes), countries in Europe (20,000 metric tonnes), among other destinations.
Honduras also expects to start exporting to South Korea this year or in 2019.
Honduras has seven sugarcane mills which also produce 315 megawatt-hour (MWh) of energy. Half of this production is sold to the national electric company ENEE.
Despite the current low international prices for sugar, Melara expects growth for the sector, with new investment in the crops and industrial productivity.
The sugarcane sector in Honduras generates 25,000 direct jobs.